Former Republican Tennessee Speaker of the House Glen Casada has been arrested and indicted by the FBI along with former top aide Case Cothren, The Tennessean reports.
The indictments follow a months long corruption investifation.
Casada resigned as Speaker in 2019 amid a testing scandal that included sexually explicit and racist conversations with former chief of staff Cothren. He then did not seek re-election.
The Tennessean reports,
A grand jury officially indicted the pair on Monday, the Department of Justice said, on charges that could carry up to 20 years in prison.
Both men are charged with:
- theft from programs receiving federal funds;
- bribery and kickbacks concerning programs receiving federal funds;
- honest services wire fraud;
- conspiracy to commit money laundering
- using a fictitious name to carry out a fraud;
- eight counts of money laundering;
The FBI conducted a raid on Casada’s home and legislative offices in 2021.
[READ NEXT: Explosive Device Detonated After Being Discovered at Federal Building]